International and EU Students

If you're a Student with the University of Kent then our advisers are qualified to give immigration advice to international students. Students studying with the University of Greenwich should contact their International Student Advice Service and they will be able to advise you accordingly.


The immigration advice that we provide includes:

  • a checking service to help with applications to extend your student visa
  • information/advice on registering with the police
  • guidance on working while studying
  • ...and much more

If your student visa is due to expire before you finish your studies in the UK, you will need to renew it and you should always submit your application to renew your visa before it expires. Do not wait until the last minute, as you need to provide a number of documents to support your application and many of these documents are time sensitive.

There are busy periods for both us and the Home Office (normally September - January) so to try to avoid delays to your application you should consider applying to renew as early as possible.

If your visa has expired and you have not applied or been granted a new valid visa then you may be classed as an ‘Overstayer’. If you have overstayed you should not consider making any application to the Home Office without first seeking advice from us or a relevant organisation first. Do not contact the Home Office without getting independent advice first.

A range of information on extending your visa, applying for entry clearance from your home country, working in the UK, etc can be accessed via the International Students and Visas page on the Kent Union website.

View our 'Advice News' for important updates to the Student Route.

Police Registration

If your visa states that you must register with the police, you must do so within 7 days of arriving in the UK. Failure to register if you are required to do so is a criminal offence and could result in your removal from the UK.

This requirement only applies to students with certain nationalities.

If you are from one of the countries on the list, you should only be required to register if your visa is for more than 6 months. If you have a visa for less than 6 months and your visa states that you must register with the police, or you are not a national of one of the countries on the list contact us for advice, as it may be a mistake and we will help you get it corrected.

Kent Police Nationality Department provides a leaflet on the procedures for registering and where you must register. Any new students should view the leaflet here for the University of Kent procedures on registering with the Police.

Once you have registered, you must notify the police of any of the following changes in your circumstances within 7 days:

  • change of address or educational institution
  • extension of your immigration leave
  • new landing conditions
  • new passport details
  • change of marital status

For details on how to register and how the registering system works please visit the Kent Police website. Please be aware that you will need to arrange an appointment with the Police to register for the first time. For help in just updating a Police Registration Certificate please visit the Advice Centre and we can provide you with details of how to do this.

When you leave the country for good, e.g. at the end of your course, you should return the certificate to the Police and inform them that you have left the UK.


Important information on what we currently know about how the Brexit decision effects EU students can be found via the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

For details on the withdrawal agreement rules and any deadlines please also view this website which will help you understand any action you need to consider to take.

University of Kent students can view the guidance Kent is offering here and University of Greenwich students can view the guidance Greenwich is offering here.

The EU Settlement Scheme is quite straightforward and you can view a video from Free Movement regarding an EU settlement application here:


EU Students and Healthcare

Please make yourselves aware of the requirements for accessing healthcare in the UK since Brexit.

You can view guidance via the Home Office on the rules to make sure that you are aware of your responsibilities and what you are entitled to.