Advice: Top Tips for Students
Advice: Top Tips for Students
Check out some top tips from the GKSU Advice Centre
Are you new to Medway? Whether you are with the University of Greenwich or the University of Kent or are a Medway Pharmacy Student, you can access the GKSU Advice Centre for support throughout your university journey.
The GKSU Advice Centre is independent from the university and offers free, impartial and confidential advice on the Medway Campus. They offer a huge range of online resources and advice that empowers you to make the most informed decisions about your student life and studies. The Advice Centre can also be contacted virtually here in order to make an appointment.
Finally, the Advisers have put together an exhaustive list of tips that you should be aware of in order to maximise your time at Medway. Check them out below!
- Receiving funding from Student Finance England? Make sure you are getting the maximum funding you are entitled to.
- All new University of Kent students should check their Kent Financial Support Package eligibility.
- Studying with the University of Greenwich? Are you aware of the Greenwich Bursary?
- If you are in financial difficulty or worried about your finances in the academic year your university may be able to offer hardship funding, Kent students and Greenwich students.
- Have you checked your university scholarships page for any extra funding? Kent and Greenwich both have a range of scholarships available.
- Are you a Care Leaver? Kent and Greenwich have additional support in place for you if you are.
- If you encounter an emergency financial problem, Kent and Greenwich might be able to offer you a short term loan to help.
- Work out a budget to make sure your money lasts the whole term. Kent has a budget calculator as do UCAS so check them out. Think ahead to stay ahead!
- Postgraduate student? Aware of your funding options?
- Looking for off-campus housing? Think smart, think accredited!
- Renting privately? Let us help as Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!
- Renting privately? Have you given your landlord/letting agent/Council your Council Tax Exemption Certificate? All Kent and Greenwich students should do this.
- Are you an international student that needs to be police registered? If so both Kent and Greenwich have guidance to help you. Don’t delay!
- Are you worried about your welfare? Need help and advice? We offer guidance as do Kent and Greenwich. Remember you’re not alone, we’re in this together.
- Moving to the area? Have you registered with a GP? You haven’t? What if you’re ill and need medical attention while studying? Think ahead and register!
- Thinking of claiming state benefits as a student? Not sure if you can? Get information on the rules.
- Think safety first to stay safe at university.
- We live in strange times! Make sure you have checked your universities procedures for studying in 2020/21 for Kent and Greenwich.
- Are you a commuter or just want to see Medway? Make your journey a smooth one!